Don't let yourself burst into tears
For years, I would feel my chin start to wobble when my scary former boss yelled at me, and, all through my childhood, when in arguments with my parents, I would have to say, "I'm really serious about this, even though I'm crying! Ignore the tears!"
But then, my dears, I discovered the BEST trick that literally stops you from bursting into tears during those ill-timed moments. This is all you have to do: When you feel like you're going to lose it, pinch that little bit of skin between your thumb and pointer finger. Pinch it hard.
That's it. Seriously.
It will magically stop you from crying.
Pinch. Pinch the skin between your index finger and thumb. Or anywhere else that works for you. Easy as pie, right? But don't pinch yourself to hard.
Does it help you?
Here are some other methods to stop crying:
- Swallow saliva. and then bite your tongue.
- Take a really deep breath, during any occasion on which you feel that you might cry, and let it out calmly and coolly.
- Inhale through your nose and exhale through your mouth.
- Blink a few times and look into the light; this makes your pupils constrict and keep tears from falling.
- Cross your eyes. This is also another way to prevent tears from forming. Rolling your eyes works the same way.
- Do math problems in your head. Emotion comes from the right side of the brain. Doing even simple addition and subtraction activates the left side of your brain and can circumvent the emotional response you're having. Times tables also help.
- Press your tongue to the roof of your mouth (or tickle the roof of your mouth with it).
- Laugh. Laughing is a common impulse when there is something funny. Though this is not a fun situation, laughing stimulates chemicals in your brain that causes crying and calms it.
- Yawn. Yawning helps to loosen the tight feeling in your throat that comes along with crying. Yawning may result in slight redness/tears so use it as a last result.
- Puff up your cheeks and hold your breath
Hope it helps! <3